This I Believe

This I Believe

I believe that life is all about making choices and being honest; so don’t lie to others.

My heart was jumping up and down with fear as I was thinking if I should tell the truth or just lie. I had been waiting a week for my friend, Tom and I to have a soccer tournament. Now, we couldn’t do it, because it was raining. I decided that my friend and I were going to play inside soccer. Surprisingly, the first kick of the game hit my mom’s plates. My parents came rushing down the stairs to see what happened. When they saw what happened they were mad. They asked what happened and I lied and told them that the plates just fell.

They knew I was lying so they grounded me. I knew then I had to tell the truth. When I told them what Tom and I did, they were happy and I was surprised. I know now that if I tell the truth I won’t get into as much trouble, so I always try to be honest.

What I realize now is that I learned a valuable lesson that day facing the fears of telling the truth. I learned that it is always better to tell the truth than to lie, except for some special occasions. When I broke the plates, I was terrified and I thought I was going get in big trouble, so then I felt like I had to lie. When I finally decided to tell the truth my parents were happy and of course I was confused. I didn’t feel the joy of telling the truth but you can’t get away with any lies.

I have used this lesson to help me make me the person I am today. It showed me that it isn’t wrong to tell the truth, and it won’t be as bad if you get in trouble. It makes me tell the truth all the time. It also makes me think before I make decisions. It just amazes me how one thing can change your whole life.

When I looked back at this event, I think how after that moment it changed my life. There is always a time when you have to learn the hard way, and there is also a time and place to show honesty and respect to your parents. As for now, I should know that I should always be telling the truth to my parents because then they will have faith in you. The situation shows me that you should always tell the truth. Every day of your life you have just one chance to do the right thing and if you don’t, you will have to face the consequences and the fact that you will not be trusted.

3 comments:

Waukee6 said...

I would agree that even though telling the truth can be one of the hardest things to do; it is the best thing to do! Excellent writing!
Mrs. Wetzel :)

Anonymous said...

The truth is hard but you got to tell the truth or life won't turn out as you expeted. Some times you don't wan't to but you have to.
-Arik Russell

Anonymous said...

I agree that telling the truth is VERY HARD and honety is important.

Max Urban

Post a Comment